International Drivers Intensive Course

Non Uk Drivers

Non – UK Drivers

If you have been driving internationally and have not driven on the roads in Britain it is recommend that you undertake an refresher driving course. This course can be tailored to your ability and what you want to achieve from the course. The refresher driving course will help you to get use to different road systems, traffic signs and help you build confidence driving on a different side of the road that you may not be use to.

Driving with a Non – UK Driving licence in the UK.

Fulfilling the minimum age 17 for both motorcars and motorcycles. You can drive for 12 months in the UK with a full license from another country (subject to terms and conditions).

EC Driving Licences

With a European Community licence you can apply to gain a UK licence in exchange.

International Drivers from Other Countries

The list below shows countries and economic areas where you can drive in the UK for 12 months. This is with a valid licence.

Before the 12 months ends you must apply to exchange for a British licence if you wanted to continue to drive.

Northern Ireland Malta Jersey
Gibraltar Monaco Guernsey
Australia New Zealand Isle of Man
Barbados Republic of Cyprus EC
British Virgin Islands Republic of Korea European Economic Area
Canada Singapore Falkland Islands
South Africa Hong Kong Switzerland
Japan Zimbabwe

If you have a licence from anther country then listed above. You are entitled to drive any vehicle that falls under the ‘small vehicle category’.  This is with terms that you hold a valid licence and are an resident in the UK.

In this situation if you wanted to continue to driving in the UK you would have to apply for a British Provisional licence. Then undertake a Driving Test before your 12 months expires.

If in this situation your and gain a provisional licence after the 12 months you will have to follow some conditions. (Display ‘L’ plates and be supervised by a licence holder or ADI instructor).

Please note that this information is only a guide. You can obtain more information from DVLA leaflet D100. Also leaflet INF 38 which gives information on driving in Britain as a resident or visitor. You can get these leaflets from your local post office. 

Intensive driving course for International Drivers

We normally find that as International driver have many years of experience, they only need a short intensive driving course over one-five days. We can organise a test date and qualified driving Instructor within a week of customers contacting us.

International driver

‘ As an  America in the UK, I did not have the confidence on driving on the left hand side. I live in London now and find the roundabouts very overwhelming. I took a couple of refresher lessons with this driving school and everything was explained. The instructor was very helpful and confidence boosting. The rules of the road was fully explained to me and techniques used where very easy to pick up. Know I am fully confident and feel safe driving in the UK.’  (Alex 2018)

International driver UK